The 49ers went on the road against the division-leading Rams Sunday afternoon and won a game with their backup quarterback, just 24 hours after learning they will likely have to be away from home for the rest of the season.

With their 23-20 win, the Niners kept their faint playoff hopes alive at least one more week, improving their record to 5-6, tied with Minnesota just one game behind No. 7 seed (yes, that’s a playoff spot this year) Arizona. Chicago, at 5-5 is playing on Sunday Night Football and will also be in that mix.

Head coach Kyle Shanahan said he was disappointed to hear about Santa Clara County’s new order banning contact sport practices and games due to a spike in coronavirus cases. He was particularly frustrated that county health officials did not alert the 49ers before announcing the order in a Saturday afternoon press conference.

Here’s what Shanahan and his team had to say about the game, the order and everything in between:

Head coach Kyle Shanahan

On fourth-and-one call near the game’s end:

“Not much (deliberation). We knew we had two downs there, on the third-and-manageable, so we expected two downs to get there. When it got close, there was no indecision.”

On what he learned of his team amid recent chaos:

“What our team went through here in the last two weeks, how COVID hit us last week in the week off and the stuff they found out yesterday in a very awkward spot for us, I couldn’t be more proud of our team. What they’ve gone through all year, the last two weeks and especially the last 24 hours, I did have a lot of concern because of what all of us and our families have been dealing with. I can’t tell you how proud I am of those guys. Not all of it was perfect but their heart and energy was and I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

On the 49ers’ defensive effort early Sunday and at the end:

“They were amazing all game, they were amazing the last game we played them. It was the exact type of game we were hoping for, knowing we had to run the ball. We wanted to make it a grimy-type game. When we had three turnovers, it’s tough to win those games, that’s why it was so close. But when the defense gets you four turnovers, that gives you a chance. I can’t say enough about those guys and the staff.”

On defensive coordinator Robert Saleh’s chances at becoming a head coach:

“I’m always concerned. You never want to lose Saleh or any of our coaches. He deserved one last year. Whether this game happened or not, it’s a matter of time before he becomes one.

I hope he stays here as long as possible. He needs to be in nor ush. Hopefully people don’t figure it out and he stays here a little bit.”

On Nick Mullens’ throws:

“Today he overthrew Jordan Reed on a double move but the corner was bailing in three deep and he didn’t have enough time to see it. … I’d love to check it down or put it on Jordan more.

“He let it rip a couple times today. He threw over the middle one time. He hit Juice on the sideline on the second to last drive.

“I was real impressed with Nick today. It’s not an easy position at all to go against that defense, the whole scheme and especially No. 99 (Aaron Donald). Nick’s tough, keeps battling and keeps coming back.

“That pick he had was just unfortunate on the tip but he never went into a shell. He kept letting it rip and made enough plays for us to win the game.”

On the 49ers’ future:

“I’m not sure. We’re working our tail off to try to figure it out. Other people are. I’ve been doing this the last 24 hours.

“You guys want to know the answers, so do our wives, so does everyone that knows us.”

“It was a very disappointing thing we got yesterday (with the county’s order). Our organization has been working their tails off since training camp with the county, trying to do this above and beyond all the NFL protocols and (county) protocols, whether it’s masks, training or getting tested every single day.

I don’t think you can do possibly more than anyone in this country, all NFL teams, not just us. We’ve been working with them as a partner trying to figure it out.

“For us to head here yesterday and the relationship we have with them and for all our players and coaches and everyone on that plane and our wives, to find that out while we were getting on a plane and no one to tell us, it was just extremely disappointing. We can handle anything and we understand how big of a deal this virus is. That’s why we’re so committed and why we feel we’ve done it as good as we can, and not only protected ourselves but also really protected our community.

“We would love to stay in our hometown where our fans want us, and playing in Levi’s with no people there, and only people who’ve been tested every day for the last five months. I get it. They made the decision. We have to deal with it.

“But to find that out through a tweet or a press conference, where I have an entire plane coming up to me, I have all wives, everyone’s girlfriends, everyone’s family members, kids, what they’ve heard, ‘Are we going to be gone the entire month of December? Are we going to be quarantined when we got back?’ That’s all we could talk about for the last 18 hours, because we got no answers from them.

“I was just very disappointed. And very proud of our guys, that I couldn’t give them the answers and they could put it to the side and come out and play like that. I’ve got so much appreciation for our team, and I’m very proud to be those guys’ coach.”

On the 49ers’ future and whether he’ll be consulted in any decision to relocate:

“They’ll always ask me, like they did a little last night. But what are our choices? All we’ve done this entire season is wake up, go get tested, wear masks and trackers the whole day, finish, go straight home, don’t travel, don’t go outside in public. Everyone’s been so committed to this.

“The biggest thing for me is us all leaving our families. We’re all human like everyone else. It’s a huge deal to leave your family for the month of December. It’s a huge deal. This virus is a huge deal.

“I want a place that’s safe for us. We need to leave and go somewhere. We’re confident not picking it up and being only around people tested every day. Now we need to find another place.

We need a place to feel safe and stay. We’re going to have to stay in hotel or somewhere. Second thing, we need practice field to play on and a stadium to play in. I’m not going to be that picky but we need some obvious things.

On Deebo Samuel’s big game:

I can’t tell you how good Deebo was today. I always mess with him because I’m a soft compliment guy, so Deebo’s got a lot to work on, but he’s one of the best football players I’ve been around. I love that guy but he’s got to get a lot better at everything else.

Running back Raheem Mostert

On Santa Clara County announcing Saturday a ban on games/practices:

“The last 24 hours has been up and down for the team. We’re not sure about the uncertainty how the rest of the season plays out. One thing I’d really like to say is no matter what we go through, we’re a team and we truly believe we’ll take care of each other.

“I left my family at home to be part of something like this. I don’t take anything for granted.

“It’s been a struggle not having my little family, sorry if I get emotional, but it’s really tough and I miss them so much. It’s a fight everyday. You’re fighting for your life. I want people to understand that.

“Right now we don’t have a home. Right now we don’t know where we’re going to be. It’s up to the team and county to figure that out. As players, we have to do our job to protect ourselves. We’re a family.

“We’ll do our best to manage it and do our best.

On Deebo Samuel’s big day:

“For Deebo to give a spark, with what we’ve been through, … We look up to certain players. We have a standard personally. He did a great job for us today.”

On whether he’d prefer practice in the Bay Area or fly to Arizona/Texas, or be in same state the whole time:

“We’re not too sure how this thing is going to shake out. We’re going to enjoy this win. Once we land, there’ll be discussions organizational-wise. As players, we’re not too sure. First and foremost, we have to make sure everybody is safe.

“I sacrificed leaving my family behind so I can make a living for them. Right now, we don’t have a home. Right now, we don’t know where we’re going to be. It’s up to the organization and the county to figure those things out.

“Who knows what the future holds? We’ll be able to manage it and do our best. We’re not too sure how this thing is going to shake out. We’re just going to enjoy this win.”

Cornerback Richard Sherman

On his comeback and playing for first time since opener:

“It felt good. This is the game I love. I’ve been playing it for gosh dang 25 years. You miss it. Sometimes an absence and injury can bring back fire and passion for the game, and it’s humbling.

On the last 24 hours:

“It was status quo. That’s the only way we could treat it. We were in LA, had a game ahead of us and that’s all we could focus on. In between the lines, everything is understood and it’s still football.”

On defense’s dominance:

“You’ve got to give Robert Saleh an abundance of credit, an unusual amount of credit, and he’s not getting enough here but around the league. To lose so many (defenders) and have guys who can’t practice, week after week, he never makes an excuse. We’re still a top-five defense in almost all categories.

“I expect him to be a head coach for what he can do. He’s a leader of men. That goes a long way.

On Jimmie Ward:

“He covers receivers, he covers backs, he covers whoever our team needs him to cover. He forced two fumbles today and he never gets the credit he deserves.”

Quarterback Nick Mullens

On the roller-coaster course of the game:

“It was crazy. I feel like anything that could happen in the game happened. It just shows the grit, the determination of this team.”

On the last drive:

“I was just trying to stay in the moment. That’s just really what I’ve been trying to tell myself.”

On being uprooted:

“We did discuss it. Found out, I guess, just like everybody else. My friend texted me, like “dang, 49ers, huh?” … Follow the rules, do what we’re supposed to do and perform. We’ll see what the future holds. It’s tough for us, but it’s really tough for the families.

Defensive end Kerry Hyder Jr.

On Kinlaw TD:

“That was just great to see, man. JK has been working his butt off all year. To see him get in the end zone, man, defensive players, especially d-linemen try their whole careers to get into the end zone, so it was great for him.”

On signing with the 49ers:

“I wanted to really solidify myself as a starter in this league. Now I’ve gotten the opportunity and  I just want to make the most of it.”

Defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw

On pick six:

“I was really supposed to be rushing, but I don’t know something just told me to drop. I saw the ball come out and was like ‘Yeah, we’re going to the crib.’ That’s all I know. … I just still got a long way to go and stick to the grind. That’s what got me here, the grind.”

On Saleh:

“I just love high-energy type of people. I just feed off that stuff. That just makes it so much easier to go when your coaches are high-energy. I love Saleh, man.”

On SCC ruling:

“I ain’t going to lie. I ain’t even really know that.”

Linebacker Fred Warner

On Saleh:

“He sets us up so well against these guys given that they’re such an explosive offense and are so successful against other teams. It’s just precision against precision. They’re going to do what they do really well at a fast pace, and we’re going to do what we do really well. We don’t do a whole lot but I mean we’re going to do what we do and we’re going to do it fast and violent.”

On whether they have the Rams figured out:

“Oh man, you’re trying to get me to say some clickbait stuff, huh? You know what, man, I’ve got nothing but respect for that team … We’ve outplayed them in the last four outings. It was a huge win — we knew our backs were against the wall coming in.”

On the roller-coaster game:

“I never get too high or too low in any of those moments. I mean, JK’s pick-six was huge, but in the moment, I’m thinking as soon as we get the touchdown, the only thing I’m thinking about is ‘We gotta go right back out, we gotta go right back out, let me catch my breath because that was a very intense moment.”

Wide receiver Deebo Samuel

On his big game:

“It all started throughout the rehab process, just putting me in game-like and play-like positions. But it also just felt good being back out there with my teammates to get that dub.”

On his comfort in Shanahan’s offense:

“I think it’s just getting better and better as time goes on.”

On Shanahan compliments:

“Today, he was just like ‘I’m proud of you’ … he said ‘You know we still got things to work on’ and i was like ‘Yeah, I know’.

On the ban:

“The team motto is just control the things we can control. We just make the most out of every opportunity that we get.”